Listening to The Ashes commentary on my iPhone
It’s surprisingly difficult to find a pub in Bayswater that shows the cricket during the day. I went searching for one today, hoping to catch a bit of The Ashes over my lunch hour. Of the few I did find, none had the volume turned up. Even The Elbow Room, which has individual TVs intended for watching sport, was playing loud 90s dance music instead (at 2pm).
I decided that next time I needed to more prepared. I needed my own portable commentary source. My first thoughts were a traditional AM radio, but this approach felt a bit dated. I then had a look at DAB alternatives, but was shocked that they are still so expensive.
Finally, after a bit of research, I found that I had the solution already; my iPhone. Here is how to do it:
- Go to the App Store and search for the App ‘FStream’. It’s free, so download it
- Open FStream and Select the ‘Favourites’ menu
- Click ‘Edit’ then ‘Add new webradio’
- Call the station something like ‘BBC Radio 5 Sports’
- Enter the URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r5lsp.asx
- Click on the ‘Play’ menu and select your new station.
- Within a few seconds you should have BBC Radio 5 sport
- Find a pub
These instructions don’t just work for the Radio 5; most of the other BBC radio stations are available. You can find a list of URLs at http://bbcstreams.com/.